U of I Direct Course and Student Data Access Guidelines
U of I Direct requires expanded access to U of I Direct data (course, facility, timetable, student record, and registration) to faculty and staff across academic units to successfully conduct on-line registration including the set-up and update of course, facility, timetable, and student record data to support registration. The guidelines below will serve as the basis for the initiation and maintenance of accounts for faculty and staff access to U of I Direct data. Access is granted based on an educationally legitimate need to know.
This statement on course and student data access is consistent with the campus policy on STUDENT AND COURSE DATA ACCESS POLICY (Section III - 15 Public Relations, Records, and Information, Campus Administrative Manual).
The college deans/directors (and vice chancellors for certain campus administrative units) are ultimately responsible for use of U of I Direct data accessed or used by staff in units which report to them. Consequently, it is the responsibility of these campus offices to:
- Understand the obligations and responsibilities that accompany the privilege of viewing and/or updating data within U of I Direct.
- Help instruct their unit heads on the appropriate use of such data.
The day-to-day responsibility, however, for designating access to U of I Direct data resides with the unit executive officer.
In all cases, the unit head (of academic and other approved academic support units) will designate the appropriate level of display or update access for his/her staff. The unit head is responsible for the use of U of I Direct data accessed or used by his/her staff and is responsible for instructing staff on the appropriate use of this data. The Office of Admissions and Records (OAR) will provide educational materials to units and conduct annual training sessions for unit designees. In turn, the unit designees will inform other unit staff members as necessary on the obligations and responsibilities that accompany the privilege of viewing or updating data as covered by the Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act of 1974 (FERPA) and the campus policy on course and student data access.
Each staff member accessing or using course, facility, course offering, registration, or student data must have his/her own unique account and password identified with the staff member to gain access for display, update, or downloading of data. Consistent with current practice, these accounts will be assigned through the University Office of Administrative Information Technology Services (AITS) following an initiation from the unit head. When assigning accounts as authorized by the unit head, AITS will regularly inform the college dean or appropriate vice chancellor. Access into mainframe services will be overseen on an on-going basis by designees of campus offices charged with the oversight of these services. For course, facility, and timetable matters the office will be in the Office of Facility Management and Scheduling (FMS). For student records and registration matters the office will be OAR. When access is requested from a unit, FMS and OAR will be notified by AITS, and AITS will observe a brief delay in implementing the request to permit a timely review by those offices. AITS will also report requests for access to the unit's college dean or vice chancellor, who may also review the request.
Annually prior to the beginning of the academic year, each unit head will be sent a listing of accounts and staff members who have access to any portion of U of I Direct and request back from each unit head any deletions or other corrections to the listing. The corrected lists will be shared annually with other appropriate offices, such as college offices, vice chancellor's offices, FMS and OAR.
Course, Facility, and Timetable Related Data
FMS and AITS in cooperation will manage the tasks related to granting access and annual on-going tracking of those staff members who request or have been given access to data that relates to courses, facilities, or timetable offerings. Consistent with campus policy, the unit head will designate the appropriate level of display or update access for his/her staff, and the unit head is responsible for any access or update of course, facility, or timetable data used by his/her staff. If the recommended level of access appears inconsistent with the requester's work responsibilities, FMS can request additional information from the unit head, and if necessary from the college dean or director. FMS and their designees will have update access to all course, facility, and timetable data. All access (display, update, on-line, download/ad-hoc) to course, facility, and timetable data will be overseen by FMS.
- Display access to course, facility, or course offering data will be made available to any University staff member who through their unit head requests access. An exception is made for on-line view or update access of some instructor data: screens showing an instructor's social security number will only be available to those staff who as part of their normal responsibilities make instructor assignments to courses or maintain instructor data for the purposes of making teaching assignments to course sections. As a further restriction, on screens showing the instructor social security number, except the "Maintain Instructor" screen, a department staff member may only view those instructors associated with the department(s) for the departmental offerings, cross listings, joint appointments, or centralized data entry by schools or colleges. On the "Maintain Instructor" screen, authorized staff knowing an instructor social security number may access and update the record even if the instructor is not a part of his/her unit.
- Update access to course offering data will be made available to those staff members as designated by the appropriate unit head under the college/department number by which the rubric is defined.
Downloads and Ad-Hoc Reporting
All course, facility, and timetable data will be available for downloading to any University staff member who through their unit head requests access with the exception of instructor social security number. This number which uniquely identifies instructors may only be downloaded by University staff members who as a part of their normal responsibilities have a need to know this information. For example, teaching department staff may be granted the ability to download instructor data only for those instructors assigned within the system to the department numbers associated with those staff members. Some central administrative office staff such as the Division of Management Information may be granted access to all instructor data for reporting purposes.
Student and Registration Related Data
OAR and AITS in cooperation will manage the tasks related to granting access and annual on-going tracking of those staff members who request or have been given access to data that relates to students (LDB/2) or on-line registration. Consistent with campus policy, the unit head will designate the appropriate level of display or update access for his/her staff, and the unit head is responsible for any access or update of student record or registration data used by his/her staff. If the recommended level of access appears inconsistent with the requester's work responsibilities, OAR can request additional information from the unit head, and if necessary, from the college dean, director or vice chancellor. OAR will have update access to all student data and designate some update access to other units. All access (display, update, on-line, download/ad-hoc) to student and registration data will be overseen by OAR. (Staff with update access who are either former students or currently enrolled must inform their unit head as well as OAR of this dual status.)
On-line Student Access
Students will only have on-line access to that part of their own student record data available on screens as developed for U of I Direct and available through use of the student's valid network id and password.
On-line Staff Access
- Student Records
In keeping with the campus policy and current practices, certain categories (or cohorts) of use have been defined. These privilege categories will continue with the advent of U of I Direct. The cohorts are:
- Advising college/department units have access to all data for the students they advise.
- Teaching units have access to student course enrollment information necessary for the administration and evaluation of their teaching activities. This includes information necessary for the ordinary operations of teaching activities and information used in research efforts to improve instructional effectiveness. Faculty members who have no advising responsibilities do not have access to academic history information of individual students.
- Units that operate student support programs have full or selected data about students in that Unit's program.
- Global privileges, all data for all students, are given to college deans and principal advisory staff in college offices, chief advisors in schools and academic departments, staff in data administration offices, and senior administrative staff in student affair units. Update privileges are granted as appropriate with the work responsibilities of the staff members.
In order for colleges and departments to effectively manage in the U of I Direct on-line registration environment it is anticipated that unit heads may designate a number of faculty and staff to have display and update access for the U of I Direct registration related transactions as appropriate for their unit. Specifically registration related transactions in the initial implementation of U of I Direct are:
- Assist students in reviewing academic history and program requirements through use of DARS and U of I Direct
- Set/Clear advising holds (for designated students)
- Enrollment management by teaching departments
- Enter registration authorizations for certain courses
- Monitor course registration activity
- On occasion, enroll or remove enrolled student(s) from courses
- Produce/view class rosters on-demand
- Encumbering offices
Set/Clear Encumbrances (restricted to specific encumbrances for a specific unit).
- College offices
- Change Maximum Credit Load
- Change Earliest Registration Time
- Change Termination Date
- View student record data related to registration activities
Some unit heads may find to manage registration, enrollment management, and advising activities successfully a need for more than one faculty or staff member be defined as chief advisor for that unit.
- Downloads and Ad-Hoc Reporting
- Student Organizations
Registered student organizations with application to and approval from authorized staff in the research purposes, data is provided, with prior written approval, as complies with FERPA and the Institutional Review Board's guidelines.
- Academic Units
For the initial year of U of I direct implementation the campus will adopt a conservative approach to decentralized distribution and access of student and registration data. In general, consistent with current practices, download access of student or registration related data will be determined by the staff member's cohort.
Honorary organizations — if the entire membership of the executive and membership selection committees are faculty members, the organization may have access to non-directory information for the purpose of selecting prospective members.
- Student Organizations
- Student Records
Questions concerning these guidelines as they relate to course data access should be directed to the Office of Facility Management and Scheduling, phone 333-1230.