Each department head is responsible for the security and safe-keeping of all university property assigned to his/her department and for the proper instruction of departmental personnel in such matters. Departments must follow with reasonable care those risk-management procedures necessary to minimize loss of and damage to university property.
- Measures a department head should take as a means for meeting these responsibilities include developing and implementing a departmental security program which incorporates at least the following:
- Appropriate key control procedures.
- Guidelines for locking of doors and windows; setting alarms, if applicable; and securing valuables when not in use.
- Inventory procedures and records maintenance as outlined in the Business and Financial Policies and Procedures (Reference 12.5 Property Records).
- The designation of a unit risk-management coordinator for departments having substantial risks and experiencing high loss rates and assignment to that person of responsibilities outlined in the attachment.
- The reporting of all property losses to the University police on a timely basis.
- Provide, at the department's expense, means of physically securing items of vulnerable equipment.
- Individuals within a department are urged to minimize security risks by following the departmental security guidelines and by:
- Securing movable equipment when unattended, particularly when risk of loss is great.
- Observing reasonable security measures, such as asking to assist strangers in department areas who appear to have no business in the immediate vicinity as a means of challenging their presence there.
- Being alert to and reporting to University police unusual or suspicious activities, including loitering strangers who cannot or will not explain their presence.
- Securing doors and windows (particularly of rooms containing valuables) at the conclusion of the day and, if applicable, setting alarms.
References for Business and Financial Policies and Procedures:
- 12.1 Custodianship of Property
- 12.2 Capitalization and Valuation of Property and Equipment
- 12.5 Property Records
See Attachment A: Description of the Unit Risk Management Coordinator (PDF)
Further questions concerning this policy statement should be directed to the Campus Risk Manager, 333-4660.