Campus Policy for Management of Special Events
It is the University's position to permit use of premises and facilities for educational activities and exchange of ideas, and special events, provided appropriate arrangements can be made which will avoid unnecessary risk of injury to persons and/or damage to property. This campus policy for management of special events covers the procedural steps and criteria to be used for event approval.
Sponsors or organizers of an event for the Urbana-Champaign campus that include one or more of the following factors are advised to consult the Office of Facility Management and Scheduling at 333-1230. The objective of this policy is to standardize the expectations of internal and external parties with regard to the determination of risk and the security requirements, special approvals and/or permits for special events to be conducted on campus.
Units are encouraged to contact the Office of Facility Management and Scheduling as soon as possible to ensure adequate time to obtain approvals, permits, and arrange for support services.
Special Events Risk Factors
- Attendance estimated at more than 200 persons
- VIP's/controversial programs
- Inherently dangerous activities or conditions
- Cash transactions
- Alcoholic beverages
- Activities which may attract passersby
- Complex insurance issues
- Traffic/parking impacts or use of parking lots
- Special staffing requirements
- Public Safety permits required (parade, street closure, flammable or explosive materials, alcoholic beverages)
- Outdoor amplified sound
- Fireworks/pyrotechnic devices
- Professional entertainment
- Aerial activities
- Use of facilities not under the sponsoring unit's control
- Food service
- Benefit or fund raising activities
- Commercial activities
- Equipment needs
- Utilities supply
Campus support units are funded to provide a reasonable level of services for routine, recurring functions of the University. Special events frequently place demands on units which exceed that level and often require reimbursement from the event sponsors/hosts.
Disagreements regarding the mandatory conditions for a proposed special event may be appealed to the Office of the Vice Chancellor for Academic Affairs.
Questions about this policy may be directed to the Office of Facility Management and Scheduling, 333-1230.