Responsibilities of Facilities & Services for Maintaining Buildings
Facilities & Services is responsible for the costs of operating and maintaining campus buildings as detailed below. Operational and maintenance services will be provided based on funding.
Facilities & Services is responsible for the following in general F&S spaces:
- Building items: exterior doors, door checks, door and window locks, window shades, doors (hinged, folding, overhead, shutter, sliding, Dutch, and fire), blinds and resilient floor covering(s), class bells, existing fire extinguishers within 75 feet of any location (unless designated as departmental) and certain related equipment, fire hose cabinets, electric clocks in public corridors and classrooms (unless designated as departmental), closet shelves, and coat rods.
- Exterior and interior painting including walls, woodwork, and door numbers.
- Lecture rooms and classrooms classified as general University space. Repair, maintenance, and/or replacement of bypassing and fixed chalkboards, furniture for general University use (such as fixed seats, loose chairs, tablet arm chairs, instructor’s desk and chair lecterns, permanent coat racks, wastepaper baskets, platforms, permanently mounted projection screens, and public address systems).
- Public rest rooms and toilet rooms: Repairs, maintenance, and/or replacement of installed fixtures such as lavatories, water closets, urinals, slop sinks, mirrors, soap dispensers, sanitary napkin cabinets, towel cabinets, etc.
- Accessibility ramps, handrails, and signage.
- Janitorial and custodial services, including:
- Routine sweeping and/or mopping of floors, periodic vacuuming of approved carpeting, periodic cleaning, buffing, and waxing of floors
- Emptying floor-type waste containers, disposing of debris, collecting and removing trash resulting from normal office and classroom use (when deposited in wastebaskets)
- Cleaning blackboards (unless otherwise requested), chalk trays, and replacing white chalk as necessary
- Closing all windows, locking basement and first floor windows
- Cleaning drinking fountains and plumbing fixtures (excluding laboratory sinks)
- Furnishing materials and supplies required for the above; supplying toilet paper, towels, and liquid hand soap where dispensers are provided
- Cleaning mirrors and interior glass, including glass-front display cases.
- Maintenance of luminaires for general illumination.
- Maintenance of electric distribution system to the access point (i.e. disconnect switch or receptacle outlet).
- Maintenance of HVAC systems for general heating, cooling, and ventilation of buildings, including air compressor for temperature controls (excludes research-specific equipment).
- Maintenance of steam, steam condensate, gas, potable water, chilled water and soil piping, and control equipment for various distribution systems to the floor line below departmental equipment, at ceiling above, or in walls adjacent to the apparatus.
- Maintenance of all general building sump pumps, hot water heaters, and water softeners.
- Maintenance of smoke detection, fire alarm, and sprinkler systems.
- Maintenance of elevator equipment (including passenger and freight elevators), and wheelchair lifts. (Excludes systems for specific department use, i.e. dumbwaiters, trayveyors, dockboards, pneumatic tube systems, etc.)
- Grounds maintenance.
- Trash hauling resulting from normal building usage.
- Drinking fountains, including potable water cooling equipment and distribution system.
- Swimming pool water treatment and its processing equipment.
- Fountains and memorials.
- Normal pest control services for the following (when reported to the Facilities & Services Service Office, (217) 333-0340): cockroaches, rats and mice (excluding for farm areas), silverfish, clothes moths, termites, fleas, bees and wasps (where necessary to protect students and staff), mites.
- Keys to buildings, rooms, and elevators are issued by F&S (when the department head has verified that it is necessary for the employee to have them). The Key Certification form is used for this purpose and may be obtained from the Key Distribution Center of F&S ((217) 333-8790). The white form is used for inside door keys and the pink form for outside door keys. Lost keys are replaced at a cost of $5.00 each. A new authorization form is required for such replacement. Only F&S is authorized to duplicate keys.
- Emergency batteries or generators required for life safety and installed in accordance with Campus Building Standards.
- Fire extinguishers will generally be provided within 75 feet of any location, and are the responsibility of the Safety & Compliance Division (S&C) of F&S. Additional extinguishers of varying types and sizes are required when special hazards exist (i.e. in laboratories and shops). When specified, these additional extinguishers may be obtained from capital improvement funds for new buildings or for alterations. Otherwise, the departments must pay for and maintain extinguishers when new hazards are created or existing hazards are identified. Recommendations pertaining to type, size, and location of extinguishers may be obtained on request from S&C. In order to inspect and test fire extinguishers as required by state law, an inventory and inspection record is maintained by the Fire Department. As such, all extinguishers must be requisitioned from S&C.
Any exceptions to the above are delineated on individual DORs collaboratively developed by F&S and respective departments.
For questions about responsibilities, contact the F&S Service Office, (217) 333-0340.