Requesting Estimates for Minor Repairs, Alterations, and Additions
Facilities & Services provides estimates for minor repairs, alterations or additions.
Facilities & Services Construction Management Division – Construction Services Group provides three types of estimates:
- budget and planning estimates,
- fixed cost bids, and
- engineering and design estimates.
All requests for estimates are to be directed to the F&S Service Office, (217) 333-0340.
Below are descriptions of each type of estimate.
- Budget and Planning Estimate:
- This type of estimate is intended to provide a quick and reasonable range of costs for a given project. The estimate is developed using gross unit costs and estimated areas with the understanding that the scope of work is not completely defined. Engineering and investigation are limited to general conversations about the electrical, mechanical, and structural needs and existing site conditions. This estimate is solely for budget and planning purposes and is not a construction estimate. The preparation of a single planning estimate is provided at no cost to the customer.
- Fixed Cost Bid:
- Fixed Cost Bids are intended to establish a fixed cost for a well-defined scope of work. A representative from the Construction Management Division – Construction Services Group will work with the unit contact person to clearly define the scope of work. Reasonable engineering services, craft time, and estimator time are provided in preparing such an estimate. The unit will be provided with a written scope of work and a fixed cost estimate for completion of that work. The engineering documents, drawings, or itemization of cost components will not be provided. The unit is not charged for such an estimate if the work is approved and executed by the Facilities & Services Construction Management Division – Construction Services Group within 60 days of Fixed Cost Bid preparation. Units exceeding the 60-day timeline will be billed for the estimate. Additionally, estimates older than 60 days may not be accurate or valid due to various factors, and an updated bid may be required.
- Engineering and Design Estimate:
- This type of estimate is for units that require extensive engineering and design services in order to complete a scope of work. A representative from the Construction Management Division – Construction Services Group will advise the unit on engineering services, drafting services, craft time, and estimating time that will be required to develop the estimate. The Construction Services representative will then make the necessary arrangements with engineering, drafting, and craft areas within Facilities & Services or with outside firms for completion of the project scope and estimate. The completed scope and estimate and supporting drawings and supporting documentation will be provided to the unit. Costs associated with the preparation of project scope, design services, and estimating shall be charged to the unit. The unit may use the estimate to obtain construction cost estimates from an outside contractor, subject to University policy and procedures.
Any questions as to this policy should be directed to the Director of Construction Management, (217) 244-0338.