Photocopier Acquisitions Policy
Removed: September, 2011
Criteria for reviewing requests for acquiring copier equipment.
This policy is in effect for acquisitions of copier equipment. The policy establishes criteria for review of acquisition requests and the procedures for conducting the review, including a cost per copy guideline for production copiers (i.e. copiers that make black toner copies).
If a rental, the University has campus wide copier rental contracts in place. Please contact the Purchasing Division to review the current contract information.
The objectives of this policy are:
- To assist departments to purchase the most cost effective photocopier equipment and services.
- To ensure the adequacy of the proposed equipment for the copying needs of the program described by the department.
- To ensure that cost-effective alternatives have been considered.
- To evaluate the impact of the proposed purchase on campus facilities and services, including space and utilities.
- To evaluate the cost-effectiveness of the proposed acquisition for the campus as a whole.
- Copier Acquisitions Policy
All acquisitions of copiers should be reviewed by requester's department and approved by the requester's department head. All sources of funds (state, institutional, trust, etc.) are covered by this policy.
This Photocopier Acquisitions Policy establishes a guideline for black toner copies made on campus photocopiers of $0.05 per copy without network accessories or $0.10 per copy with network accessories. These per copy costs include equipment, maintenance and supplies and provide a benchmark for departments to determine if their production copying costs are reasonable. This per copy guideline includes black toner copies made on color copiers, but there is no per copy guideline for color copies. In order to determine the cost effectiveness of the copier acquisition, the user should complete the "Photocopier Acquisition Analysis Form" (see Attachment I). Prior approval is not required, but departments are strongly encouraged to consult with the campus Purchasing Division prior to acquisition of the copier.
- Criteria for Reviewing Copiers
The following criteria should be considered in the review process:
- Proposed uses for the equipment: Who will have access to the equipment? For what purpose? What volume per month (number of impressions) is anticipated?
- Type of equipment: Is this type of equipment available elsewhere on campus? Can it be used by the requesting program? At a comparable cost? Is the requested equipment appropriate for stated planned uses? What kind of equipment and parts guarantee does this equipment carry?
- Equipment and operating costs: What is the initial equipment cost? What are the incidental costs such as remodeling, installation, and provision of utilities? What are the scheduled maintenance costs? What is the estimated cost per copy produced (including equipment, maintenance and supplies)? What staff will be required to operate the copier? What kind of initial and on-going training will be needed?
- Cost impact on campus: Is this equipment duplicated elsewhere on campus? Will departmental use of the proposed equipment reduce the cost effectiveness of other campus copying/printing operations?
- Type of acquisition: Will purchase, rental or lease-purchase be the most cost effective?
Further questions concerning this policy statement should be directed to the campus Purchasing Division, 333-3505. Also see OBFS Purchases website.