Use of University Premises and Facilities on the Urbana-Champaign Campus
University premises and facilities are available for use by individuals or organizations for purposes relating directly to the University's regular educational or research programs. Any individual(s) or organization wishing to use University premises or facilities for any other purpose must obtain approval from the appropriate campus authorities. Questions relating to such usage should be directed to the Office of the Registrar.
- USE OF UNIVERSITY PREMISES AND FACILITIES BY UNIVERSITY ORGANIZATIONS, CAMPUS BOARDS, REGISTERED ORGANIZATIONS, RELATED (ALLIED) ORGANIZATIONS, AND CAMPUS-COMMUNITY ORGANIZATIONS*
Campus authorities may grant permission to use University premises and facilities to these organizations when the use is generally compatible with the University's teaching, research, and public service missions.
Admission fees and contributions are not permitted at events on University premises except when permission is granted in advance by appropriate campus authorities. Permission will be granted only if one of the following conditions is met:
- The requesting group is a University Organization, and the fee to be charged is for the purpose of paying the expenses of the event or to support the unit's teaching, research, and public mission services.
- The requesting group is a Campus Community Organization and the fee to be charged is only for the purpose of paying the expenses for the event.
- The requesting group is a Campus Board or Registered Organization, and the proceeds from the event are placed into the treasury of the organization concerned, the funds of which are expended according to University rules under the supervision and with the approval of the appropriate campus authorities.
- The requesting group is an Allied Organization, and the proceeds from the event go into the treasury of the organization concerned, the funds of which are expended according to the rules established by and with the approval of the appropriate governing board.
*As defined in the section, "Registered Organizations and Facilities" of The Student Code.
- USE OF UNIVERSITY PREMISES AND FACILITIES BY OUTSIDE ORGANIZATIONS AND INDIVIDUALS*
Campus authorities may grant permission to use University premises and facilities to outside organizations and individuals when that use is generally compatible with the University's teaching, research, and public service missions, and each of the following conditions is met:
- The use does not interfere in time and/or general nature with any aspect of the work of the University or any of its departments.
- The premises or facilities requested are not needed for any University events or any events sponsored by any of the groups listed in part A of this directive.
- No admission fee will be charged or contributions solicited at the event unless the funds are to be used only to cover the expense of the event and permission has been granted in advance by the appropriate campus authorities.
The use of University premises and facilities is not available to individuals or non-University organizations for presentation of public entertainment events. Outside organizations and individuals may not sponsor events when admission fees, profits, or funds raised are to accrue to the individual or the organization, even though the funds are for public benefit.
University premises and facilities shall not be used for benefit events, charitable or otherwise, except with the special approval of the Chancellor. Benefit events are those events intended to raise money for uses other than the expenses of the sponsoring organization or the support of other university activities.
Outside organizations may use certain auxiliary service space, such as the Assembly Hall, Krannert Center for the Performing Arts, and housing facilities for meetings, conferences, and conventions if attendance at such events is limited to members of the organization or if admission to the public is free.
Use of University premises and facilities by individuals other than in connection with the University's educational or research programs is normally not permitted. Subject to the approval of the appropriate campus authorities, certain University premises and facilities may be made available for use to the students, faculty, and staff of the University and their families, provided such use does not interfere with the regular educational programs of the University or with the activities of the various eligible organizations previously identified in this directive.
Young people (generally under 18 years old), who are not University of Illinois students are welcome on the campus to participate as invited guests in supervised activities developed especially for them, to attend scheduled public events, to participate in supervised education programs, and when accompanied by a parent, guardian or responsible adult who is eligible to use University facilities. Campus facilities are not available for their use under other circumstances. Faculty and staff may ask uninvited guests to leave a facility or, if such visitors refuse to leave or challenging them would cause concern for personal safety, the University police should be called for assistance (333-1216 or 9-911).
- CHARGES FOR USE OF UNIVERSITY PREMISES AND FACILITIES
The campus may charge rent, service charges, or other fees to users of certain University premises and facilities. It may charge admission and solicit public patronage to events held in the Assembly Hall, Krannert Center for the Performing Arts, The Activities and Recreation Center, Ice Arena, Memorial Stadium, Illini Union, Foellinger Auditorium, Lincoln Hall Theater and other facilities appropriate for accommodating public events.
- REQUIREMENTS AND LIMITATIONS RELATING TO USE OF UNIVERSITY PREMISES AND FACILITIES
Organizations and individuals using University premises and facilities must comply with all reasonable requests related to such usage made by campus authorities having responsibility for the premises or facilities concerned.
Campus authorities retain the right to assign the most appropriate premises or facilities available for a given event and to determine whether appropriate facilities are available. Prevailing contracts entered into by University units will be honored.
Decisions concerning interpretations of policy on the use of University premises and facilities may be appealed to the Committee on the Use of Facilities as specified in Article II, Part 5, §2-508 of The Student Code.
The use of all University premises and facilities is subject to all applicable state and federal laws and must be in accord with the policies of the Board of Trustees.
The Chancellor or his or her designee has the authority to permit exceptions to these regulations and to develop additional regulations as may be appropriate.
University premises and facilities cannot be used for private gain or non-educational purposes, either by individuals or organizations, except for Facilities Use Agreements processed by the Office of Sponsored Programs and Research Administration (OSPRA) for research purposes. These agreements are typically placed with commercial concerns located as tenants in the University South Research Park who may need access to specialized laboratories to conduct their research. Contact OSPRA at 217-333-2187 with any questions about processing.
University permission for the use of premises and facilities by an organization or individual neither implies approval nor disapproval of the purposes of the individual or organization or events sponsored by that organization or individual.
All questions or requests relating to the use of University premises and facilities should be directed to the Office of the Registrar.