The purpose of this policy is to ensure that the designated common areas owned by the university are maintained in a safe and orderly manner that supports basic university functions of teaching, research and service. The procedures and restrictions outlined are not intended to impinge upon the rights of members of the university community to express their beliefs and voice their grievances. Rather, this policy is intended to protect and advance the health and safety of the campus community and the educational environment of the university. As the campus reservable outdoor lawn areas border academic classrooms, this policy is designed so that freedom of expression may occur without interfering with one’s access or academic experience in the classroom, while also maintaining safe circumstances for all involved.
This policy regulates outdoor displays for University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign departments and units, faculty and staff, registered organizations, registered student organizations and organizations officially recognized by the university (such as university organizations, campus boards, related organizations, campus-community organizations and outside organizations). Scheduled use is subject to the approval by the Office of the Registrar (OR) - Facility Management and Scheduling unit and or Illini Union Registered Organizations Office (when applicable).
This policy originates with OR and is enforced by OR and when applicable, the Illini Union Registered Organizations Office.
University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign campus persons and organizations may erect outdoor displays that are consistent with applicable university policies. Outdoor displays must adhere to the following guidelines:
- Sponsoring organizations must submit a Space Request Form in conjunction with a desired event and/or display, at least fifteen (15) business days in advance of proposed display date.
- Outdoor displays are allowed only in conjunction with an event or program.
- Outdoor displays must be self-supporting. Any supporting wires or cables shall be clearly visible and placed so as to avoid interfering with the normal flow of traffic. Anchors for supporting wires or cables may not be driven into concrete sidewalks, stairs, or passageways.
- For aesthetic and sightline reasons, displays located on any of the reservable grassy lawns of the campus or other areas on campus (including Anniversary Plaza) may not exceed ten (10) feet in height and thirty-two (32) feet in length or the length limits of the reserved area (whichever is smaller). The length of a display is subject to approval based on the event location and the construction of the display.
- There is a three (3) day maximum on displays on the reservable grassy lawns of the campus. Due to the popularity of the area, groups seeking to reserve Anniversary Plaza are limited to one (1) day.
- While displays may be approved for up to three (3) days, no displays may remain overnight. All must be removed from university property by 11:00 p.m. and can be displayed again beginning at 6:00 a.m. the following day. Failure to remove an approved display by 11:00 p.m. will result in it being removed and stored by university staff. A display that is removed by university staff must be picked up by the sponsoring organization within forty-eight (48) hours. In such case, the sponsoring organization will be charged all costs associated with the removal. If applicable, the sponsoring organization will also forfeit any time remaining on the approved reservation for the display.
- Any person or organization sponsoring an outdoor display must remove litter from the area around the display throughout and at the end of each day.
- Outdoor displays must be staffed at all times by the sponsoring (faculty, staff, student, or university) group.
- Outdoor displays cannot be sponsored by the same or different student, faculty or staff groups or university departments to extend the three (3) day limit.
- The size and construction of outdoor displays must be reviewed and approved by the Facilities and Services Safety and Compliance office. A sketch drawing of the display indicating the size and construction materials must be submitted to the Facilities and Services Safety and Compliance office a minimum of ten (10) business days in advance of the event.
- The university reserves the right to make an exception to reservation terms as it deems appropriate for university-sponsored events.
- Any person or organization sponsoring an outdoor display assumes full responsibility for the display, including all injuries or hazards that may arise from the display. The university shall not be liable for any damage that may occur to the display.
Related to this policy a display is a structure or sign that is created or arranged in order for others to view. This may include erected signage and/or structures to be used in conjunction with a demonstration, protest, informational table or programmatic event, or used independently.
A display is not banner signage hung from individual buildings or university vexilla. This type of signage is dictated by the individual facility or Public Affairs, unless otherwise noted in the Campus Administrative Manual.
An inventory of reservable grassy lawns can be found at FMS Outdoor Spaces.
To initiate the lawn reservation process, you must submit a Space Request Form and follow the outlined process for your unit or organization type within the Student Code.
Appeals to this policy should be directed to the Committee on the Use of Facilities.
Questions regarding this policy may be addressed to the Office of the Registrar - Facility Management and Scheduling unit at (217) 333-1230, or email email@example.com.