Graduate Student Leaves of Absences

The Graduate College does not grant formal leaves of absence. However, graduate programs have policies governing leaves. A student who has a need to interrupt his or her graduate program should make arrangements with the department and adviser prior to departure. Because of SEVIS (Student and Exchange Visitor Information System) regulations, policies concerning leaves are different for international students than for domestic students. A domestic student who has not registered for more than one calendar year must submit a Graduate Student Petition requesting re-entry. A student holding educational loans should consult the lender before choosing not to enroll for a fall or spring semester.

International students who plan not to enroll for a spring or fall semester or plan to leave campus are required to meet with staff from International Student and Scholar Services (ISSS). International students must petition for re-entry after one missed semester (not including summer), and will need to work with the staff from ISSS as well as with their department.

Further questions concerning this policy statement should be directed to the Graduate College, 333-0035.