Raffles on University Premises and at University Facilities
Only registered organizations and University departments may conduct raffles on University premises and at University facilities, and only if the following requirements are met:
- An organization or department must have applied and received a license from the City of Champaign and/or the City of Urbana. Compliance with their requirements includes the following, which is of special interest to a campus community:
- the applicant must be an organization that has been in existence continuously for a period of five years immediately before making application for a license;
- no persons under the age of eighteen years may participate in the conducting of raffles or chances. A person under the age of eighteen may be within the area where winning chances are determined only when accompanied by a parent or guardian;
- no person will receive any remuneration or profit for participating in the management or operation of the raffle;
- only bona fide members of the organization will participate in the management or operation of the raffle;
- all raffles approved on University premises and at University facilities must comply with the state statute governing raffles (chapter 85, sections 2301-2308) and all terms of their licenses from the City of Champaign and/or the City of Urbana.
- Receiving a license from the City of Urbana and/or the City of Champaign does not constitute permission to use University premises and facilities to conduct raffle sales, raffle drawings, etc.
- Detailed University regulations and procedures are available from the Student Engagement Office.
- An organization or department must receive event approval.
- All registered organizations and University departments that wish to hold raffle ticket sales, drawings, etc., on University premises and at University facilities must first receive event approval from the director of registered organizations.
- An organization or department must receive space approval.
- Registered organizations and University departments receiving event approval to hold a raffle on University premises and at University facilities will need to receive space approval for this event from the unit responsible for scheduling the requested facility.
- Approval of the event on University premises and at University facilities does not constitute liability on the part of the University for the licensed raffle event.
Further questions concerning this policy statement should be directed to the Student Engagement Office, (217) 300-8757.