The guidelines outlined in this document cover issues relating to the funding, division of responsibility and program statement requirements for telecommunications installations in new and remodeled space.
Telecommunications encompasses all forms of information transport and processing, not just the traditional concerns for voice-only systems. For example, voice, data, video, control, and audio, to name some, are all telecommunications systems found in a contemporary facility.
The following sections establish the guidelines for funding, responsibilities and delegation of tasks, and program statements related to Telecommunications Installations.
The method and source of funding of telecommunications scope of work for new and remodeled spaces parallel, for the most part, those for other utility systems. The specific funding guidelines for telecommunications installations are as follows:
- Work area components extending from the telecommunications/information outlet including, but not limited to, telephones, data terminals and computers will be treated as movable equipment required in a new or remodeled area. Departments are responsible for the funding of the equipment. The department may request funds be included in the project budget for station equipment as part of an overall request for equipment funds.
- The building or remodeling project shall include funds for all telecommunication distribution facilities required within the building. In-building facilities include all telecommunications/ information outlets, building wiring, telecommunications distribution frames, enclosures, electronic equipment areas, conduits, and raceways.Departments are responsible for the funding required for auxiliary electronic devices to serve their specific systems beyond Technology Services Routers and Gateway Ports including, but not limited to, amplifiers, repeaters and panels.
- Funds to provide telecommunication distribution facilities to a building from an appropriate telecommunication node site shall be included in a special Utilities Expansion Project if such a request is prepared. Otherwise, funding shall be included in the building or remodeling project for the extension of required cable media and lateral infrastructure to the project, fully serving the specific needs for that particular building.Backbone infrastructure, and cable media reinforcement beyond the needs of a specific building shall be funded from Technology Services’ Reserve Fund for Campus Distribution System growth.Telecommunications distribution facilities from the node site may include concrete encased conduit, distribution cable or other media as required, building entrance facilities, electrical projectors at both the building and node site and any increased node site facilities improvements.
- Funds for any increased switch facilities or cables (called Service Transport Facilities) to the node sites shall be provided by Technology Services and recovered through normal charge-back for service.
- Any telecommunications scope of work that must be relocated as a result of new construction or remodeling shall be funded by the project requiring the relocation.
- Installation costs for telecommunication service which are not covered above may, in some cases, be paid from Funds to complete. Technology Services shall provide an estimate of these costs as applicable.
The responsibilities for the various functions relating to telecommunications installations in new and remodeled spaces are assigned as follows:
- Technology Services is responsible for the development and maintenance of the Facilities Standards for in-building wiring, the installation of mechanical and electronic portions of the in-building distribution facility, and for extensions to the outside telecommunications plant as reviewed and accepted by Facilities & Services (F&S). These Facilities Standards shall be sufficiently written and annotated so that detailed installation plans and specifications can be developed from them.
- F&S shall include telecommunications requirements (provided by Technology Services) in building program statements. In those cases where a program statement has not been prepared, F&S shall include Technology Services in the review of the project during the program analysis and schematic design phases and during the balance of planning and construction.Technology Services shall assist each college and/or department in identifying programmatic needs and telecommunications/networking requirements for each specific project so that reasonable telecommunications/networking estimates can be included in the project budget.
- The Professional Services Consultant (PSC) shall be responsible for developing adequate space within the building, in accordance with program requirements and Facilities Standards, for telecommunications enclosures, equipment areas, conduits, and raceways.
- The PSC is responsible for the detailed design of all telecommunications scope of work required in the building and, unless there is a separate utility project, the extension of the telecommunications outside plant facilities to the building.
- The installation of all wiring, distribution frames and devices may be bid as a unique division of work or be included in the electrical bid of the project.
- The PSC (or, in special circumstances, an authorized representative from Technology Services or F&S) shall monitor the quality of work performed in the installation of the telecommunications systems.
- The PSC shall include the systems integrity testing of the telecommunications facility in the construction contract documents. The testing shall be conducted after completion of the work. The specifications for the test(s) to be performed shall be developed by Technology Services and will be included in the contractor scope of work.
- Technology Services will coordinate all contacts with outside agencies regarding telecommunication/networking facilities and installations.
F&S coordinates the development of program statements for new and remodeled spaces. Guidelines for the development of the telecommunications portion of the program statement are as follows:
- Telecommunications requirements will be provided in the program statement, including a budget line item for each telecommunications in-building facility, associated equipment and outside plant extension. Technology Services shall provide these estimates to F&S, as required.
- The program statement will reference the Facilities Standards authored by Technology Services and accepted by F&S.
- The program statement shall make clear that the detailed design of the telecommunications scope of work shall be the responsibility of the PSC.The program statement shall state that the installation of all raceways and conduits will be the responsibility of the electrical (or a unique) division of work, that the installation of all wiring, distribution frames and devices will be the responsibility of the telecommunications division of work (or the telecommunications subcontractor), and that monitoring of installation shall be the responsibility of the PSC.
- The program statement will require a warranty of one year on the Inside Plant (ISP) telecommunications scope of work and two years on the Outside Plant (OSP) portion of the facilities.
Questions concerning this policy should be directed to the Chief Information Officer, (217) 333-3303.