Distribution of Building Plan Documents and Architectural Drawings
The purpose of this policy is to outline the practices for distribution, dissemination, and access to building plan information, documents, and architectural drawings that will be available through the Records section of Facilities & Services, through individual campus units, or available via the web. The intent of this policy is to promote the open access to necessary building information for students, faculty, staff, authorized agents representing interagency units, and the general public without compromising the safety and security of the University of Illinois, its students, faculty, staff, visitors, or physical infrastructure. The policy is not intended to restrict academic research and publication of research work products. This policy covers all forms of media through which University of Illinois Building information may be disseminated (i.e. CD’s, DVD’s, etc.)
The classification of and access to facilities related data at the University of Illinois Urbana-Champaign (UIUC) shall be as follows:
Public data is information that is available to the general public. This includes access to the campus master plan, campus base maps representing the placement of buildings, landscape, urban planning, and American with Disabilities Act (ADA) information.
- Access: granted to the general public and to all faculty, staff, and students of UIUC.
- ADA information will include the necessary accessibility information to allow persons with disabilities and members of the general public the ability to navigate the campus exterior and interior corridors of UIUC buildings.
- The floor plans will typically reflect wayfaring information including entrances, halls, stairs, elevators, in addition to ADA accessible information, restrooms, classrooms, seminar rooms, auditoria, and teaching labs.
University Internal Facilities Data
University Internal Facilities Data is information that is accessible only to current employees of the University, who are in good standing, to promote the conduct of business or to facilitate the education for students within select courses of study (engineering, architecture, urban planning, etc.).
- Access to University Internal Facilities Data is granted to:
- All current faculty and staff employees of UIUC who are in good standing.
- Students, who are currently enrolled in the academic disciplines of Architecture and Urban Planning who require access to building documents, will receive access to this data through their respective College/Unit departments as previously arranged through the Division of Public Safety.
- Students not enrolled in the aforementioned disciplines may receive access by completing a Facilities Data Security Agreement and Information Request Form. Faculty who wish to provide access to record drawings for students taking their classes must request access permission for the class prior to the start of the semester. Students requesting access to drawings must provide verification (a valid student ID) prior to receiving the drawings or access to the drawings.
- Representatives acting on behalf of intergovernmental agencies through existing mutual assistance agreements may obtain access to these drawings by verifying their status and need with the Records section of Facilities & Services.
- Representatives of University approved or authorized architects, engineers, contractors, consultants, surveyors, etc. may obtain access to these drawings through their assigned contacts within the Planning Division of Facilities & Services.
- Examples of this data include:
- Floor plans and space inventory;
- Elevations & Site plans;
- Record drawings.
- Access to aerial photography of any campus location requires the user to complete a Facilities Data Security Agreement and Information Request Form.
- University Internal Facilities Data will be made available to individuals (faculty/staff) working on specific projects or in approved courses of study where the use of such information promotes the academic mission of the campus. Faculty requesting record drawings for their classes should make those requests known as far in advance as possible in order to receive timely consideration of their request. Requests should be forwarded to the Director of Emergency Planning at (217) 333-1491 or the Division of Public Safety at (217) 244-4885.
- Access is granted to UIUC affiliated personnel through their bluestem password and enterprise ID.
- External users may obtain access through separate authorization (Attachment II) and the assignment of a network login and password ID.
Limited Access & Restricted Facilities Data
Limited Access & Restricted Facilities Data is data that is accessible only with specific authorization.
- Access – Some building data is deemed restricted and not subject to distribution without specific permission from the Executive Director of Public Safety or his/her designees.
- Examples of this data included:
- Public assembly facilities;
- Lab animal holding facilities;
- Research facilities;
- Facilities housing communications infrastructure;
- Facilities housing hazardous materials;
- Utilities related data;
- Aerial photographs of University areas are “restricted access” unless they are low resolution (1:24,000 or 1:40,000);
- Government contract facilities;
- Survey control maps;
- High Resolution Topographic maps (excludes Low Resolution 1:24,000 or 1:40,000);
- GIS data.
- Individuals requesting access to Limited Access & Restricted Facilities Data who are not pre-approved nor authorized to receive such information must complete a Facilities Data Security Agreement and Information Request Form. Completion of the request form constitutes an agreement to comply with the provisions contained therein.
- Requests for information submitted using the Facilities Data Security Agreement and Information Request Form will be reviewed and approved by the Division of Investigations of the University of Illinois Police Department and/or the Director of Emergency Planning.
- Agencies assigned primary responsibility for emergency response to the Urbana campus as a result of the Intergovernmental Agreement Between the University of Illinois and the Cities of Urbana and Champaign for Fire Protection Services will have full access to facilities data through their authorized agent(s).
- Representatives of UIUC approved or authorized architects, engineers, contractors, consultants, surveyors, etc. may obtain access to these drawings through their assigned contacts within the Planning Division of Facilities & Services. Approved authorized agents under this section are required to notify their subcontractors of this policy if they will be copying UIUC building media (i.e. CD’s) and distributing it to them.
- Facilities Managers and/or the College Dean or his/her designee will be informed of all requests for restricted facilities data.
- Individual Colleges and/or unit administrators must identify the authorized individuals within their respective colleges or units who will have access to building drawings and data for restricted facilities within their control.
- Campus units who may be asked to provide facilities related data are advised to do so only on an authorized basis and to maintain a record of such distributions.
Questions about requests for information can be forwarded to the Office for Emergency Planning, (217) 333-1491, or the Investigations Unit at the Division of Public Safety, (217) 244-7020.
Violations of this policy or unauthorized use of the information provided could result in loss of access privileges, possible disciplinary review, and criminal prosecution if applicable.
Individuals may appeal decisions made with regards to building plan accessibility by forwarding their concern to the Executive Director of Public Safety.
Attachment I: Facilities Data Security Agreement and Information Form — Student Request
Attachment II: Facilities Data Security Agreement and Information Request Form — Requester not affiliated with UIUC