University Underground Telecommunications Distribution System
Protecting the structural integrity of the University’s telecommunications system from damage caused by digging or earth moving; preventing major disruptions of these services.
This policy applies to any digging, excavating, or subsurface activity which takes place on the Urbana-Champaign campus and at Willard Airport.
The University owns and maintains the entire underground telecommunications distribution system on and about the Urbana-Champaign campus and airport property.
The department overseeing work to be done is responsible for the protection of the underground system, and must:
- Follow the procedures set forth in this document.
- Advise vendor of these procedures and include them in written contracts.
When underground work (including placement of posts and signs) is anticipated, the vendor or department will call JULIE at (800) 892-0123 or 811 per state law.
In the event a cable is damaged, the following procedures must be followed:
- If the supervising department or its vendor called the Campus Utility Locating Services at (217) 333-FIND, and the location information it received was accurate (that is, that the cable was indeed in that approximate location), the department or its vendor will reimburse the cost of the repair plus a 20 percent overhead charge.
- If the supervising department or its vendor did not call Campus Utility Locating Services at (217) 333-FIND, the department or its vendor will pay the actual cost of the repair plus a 30 percent overhead charge.
- In any case involving (a) and (b), the supervising department will be held liable for its vendor’s action.
- In any situation not covered by (a), (b), or (c) above, responsibility for the cost of repairing damage to a cable will be resolved on the basis of the circumstances involved.
Further questions concerning this policy statement should be directed to Technology Services, 1304 West Springfield Avenue, Urbana, Illinois, (217) 333-1161.