Urbana-Champaign Smoking Policy
The University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign desires to achieve a smoke-free public environment.
In recognition of the health, safety, and comfort benefits of smoke-free air and the responsibility to provide and maintain an optimally healthful and safe working and living environment for faculty, students, staff and visitors, the University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign establishes this smoking policy. Smoking of any material is prohibited in all facilities of the Urbana-Champaign campus, including campus-owned or leased vehicles, with the exception of designated smoking permitted overnight guest rooms. Smoking is defined as the burning of tobacco or any other material in any type of smoking equipment including but not restricted to cigarettes, cigars or pipes. Achieving this goal will require the willingness, understanding, and patience of all members of the campus community working together.
The State of Illinois enacted Public Act 095-0017 which restricts smoking on all state properties. This policy incorporates the requirements of Public Act 095-0017.
The following guidelines, which will be reviewed and updated from time to time, are designed to achieve the goal of a smoke-free public environment:
- Preferential consideration shall be given to achieving a smoke-free environment whenever the needs of smokers and non-smokers conflict.
- Smoking is prohibited indoors in all university owned and leased facilities at all locations, including campus owned or leased vehicles. Smoking is also prohibited in outdoor areas where seating is provided, such as, but not limited to, athletic events, concerts and other types of entertainment and productions. However, smoking shall be permitted in designated overnight guest rooms.
- Smoking is prohibited in outdoor areas within twenty-five (25) feet of building entrances, exits, windows that open, and ventilation intakes.
- The sale of tobacco products on university premises is prohibited.
Smoking receptacles are strategically placed throughout campus and those who smoke are requested to use them so that a clean and visually attractive campus is maintained. Signage has been posted to assist in communication of the campus' smoking policy.
Deans, Directors, Department heads, or their designees, are responsible for implementing this policy in the campus facilities under their jurisdiction by:
- Assuring that the policy is communicated to all current and future staff members, and
- Responding to questions concerning the policy and guidelines.
The University recognizes that individuals may need help to quit or refrain from smoking. In this regard, assistance with smoking cessation and prevention education is available through McKinley Health Center and/or the Faculty-Staff Assistance Program.
This policy relies on the thoughtfulness, consideration, and cooperation of smokers and nonsmokers for its success. It is the responsibility of all members of the campus community to observe the provisions of these guidelines. Questions or concerns regarding this policy or disputes regarding its implementation should be referred to the unit head for resolution. Appeals should be addressed to the unit head’s immediate supervisor.
It is impossible to develop guidelines to embrace all of the special circumstances that may occur. The Executive Director of Facilities & Services should be contacted for help in clarifying this policy.