Use of In-Line Skates, Roller Skates, Skateboards and Self-Balancing Personal Transportation Devices
- To establish the conditions under which individuals may use in-line skates, roller skates, skateboards, and self-balancing personal transportation devices on university premises
- To protect the safety of students, faculty, staff and visitors at the University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign by prohibiting use of in-line skates, roller skates, skateboards, and self-balancing personal transportation devices within university facilities
- To reduce the risk of injury to persons and damage to university property
This policy applies to all individuals, including but not limited to students, faculty, staff, other employees, contractors, subcontractors, volunteers, visitors and members of the public, in or on premises and facilities owned, leased, occupied or otherwise controlled by the university on behalf of the Urbana-Champaign campus.
Executive Director of Public Safety
Using in-line skates, roller skates, skateboards, and self-balancing personal transportation devices inside university facilities is prohibited. Carrying, charging, storage, or other possession of self-balancing personal transportation devices inside university facilities is prohibited. Individuals who use in-line skates, roller skates, skateboards, and/or self-balancing personal transportation devices on university premises where permitted must do so
- consistent with university policies and guidelines, applicable state traffic and criminal laws, and local ordinances; and
- in a manner that does not endanger the safety of other individuals and/or risk causing damage to property.
Failure to comply with this policy and/or applicable laws and ordinances may result in:
- a referral to the appropriate University disciplinary system;
- citations under the Illinois Vehicle Code; and/or
- criminal prosecution.
- In-Line Skates
A roller skate in which the wheels are fixed in a single line across the sole of a boot.
- Roller Skate
A shoe or boot with a set of wheels attached to its sole designed for gliding across a surface.
A board with wheels fixed to the bottom on which a person can ride in a standing or crouching position, propelling themselves by pushing one foot against the ground.
- Self-balancing personal transportation device
A wheeled device designed for an individual to ride in a standing position, with an electric propulsion system, including hoverboards, smart boards, and balance boards.
- University facilities
For purposes of this policy, university facilities include academic and auxiliary buildings, classrooms, laboratories, residences, residence halls, dining facilities, elevators, stairwells, restrooms, roofs, meeting rooms, hallways, lobbies and other common areas, hotel rooms and conference facilities, athletic complexes and facilities, shuttle buses, shuttle bus stops, and university-owned parking garages.
- University premises
For purposes of this policy, university premises include university-owned streets, sidewalks, walkways, exterior open spaces, parking lots, driveways, and loading docks.
For their safety, and the safety of others, individuals using in-line skates, roller skates, skateboards, self-balancing personal transportation devices, or any other mobile conveyance should wear proper safety equipment at all times.
There are no exceptions to this policy.
Executive Director of Public Safety (email@example.com)